- Completed Online Application must be submitted by the CS application deadline. The online application can be found here.
- Application fee of $125: to be paid in the online application with a credit card.
- Statement of Purpose - Your Statement of Purpose should be concise, focused, and well written. It should describe succinctly your reasons for applying to the proposed program at Stanford, your preparation for this field of study, research interests, future career plans, and other aspects of your background and interests which may aid the admissions committee in evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study. The Statement of Purpose must be no more than two pages in length, single-spaced. It will be submitted as part of the online application.
3 Recommendation Letters -
In the online application, you will be asked to identify your recommenders and their email addresses. Please notify your recommenders that they will receive an email prompt to submit their recommendation online. CS only accepts online recommendations through the application system; CS cannot accept mailed, emailed or faxed recommendations.
You must submit a minimum/maximum of 3 recommendation letters and they must be submitted through the online application system. We recommend that at least 2 of these letters be from academic sources. Please have your recommender write candidly about your qualifications, potential to carry on advanced study in the field specified, intellectual independence, capacity for analytical thinking, ability to organize and express ideas clearly, and potential for teaching. In describing such attributes as motivation, intellect, and maturity, specific examples are more useful than generalizations. For more information on submitting letters of recommendation visit here.
- Resume- Please submit your resume in the online application. Please be sure to include any publications here.
- Supplemental form- This form is part of the online application. Please be sure to list any publications and your website on this form AND on your resume (CV). Upload your resume (CV) on the Document Uploads, Confirmation & Submission" section (page 15) and a copy of your NDO transcript on the Additional Information's section of the online application.
Transcripts - You are required to upload official copies of your transcripts or e-transcripts onto the online application for all institutions you have attended for at least a year as a full time student. Transcripts from Stanford's Non Degree Option (NDO) program should also be uploaded. Please DO NOT mail your official transcripts unless we contact you to do so. For more information on the minimum level of study required of applicants of who wish to apply for graduate study at Stanford, please go to: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/applying/international-applicants.
Please DO NOT mail any other paper documents to the Admissions Office such as publications, or financial statements/documents, as they will not be reviewed by the admissions committee. The committee reviews all graduate applications online, and will have no access to copies of any documents sent via post. Please note that we will not upload documents emailed to us to your applicant file.
GRE: GREs are NOT required for MS and PhD applicants.
TOEFL: We do not accept IELTS scores.
Stanford University requires the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) from all applicants whose native language is not English. The Test of Written English (TWE) portion of the TOEFL is not required. Applicants who have completed a four-year bachelor's degree or a two-year master's program (or its equivalent) in the U.S. or at an institution where English is the main language of instruction are not required to take the TOEFL. For more information on TOEFL requirements, please see: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/applying/starting-your-application/required-exams.
TOEFL test may be taken no earlier than 18 months prior to the application deadline. Be sure to take the test in time for your scores to be received at Stanford by the application deadline. Stanford Institution code: 4704 (no department code is required). TOEFL website: http://www.toefl.org.